Mark Uraine and Birgit Pauli-Haack highlight enhancements and bug fixes released with Gutenberg 6.2. They also discussed the exploration of a snap-to-grid feature for themes, the ongoing progress for using block for site navigation sections and the evolution dealing with nested blocks. There is so much more in this episode, though. Review the show notes for more information.
Music: Homer Gaines | Logo: Mark Uraine
Live Q & A AMP & AMP Stories (YouTube)
Gutenberg 6.2 Release
Gutenberg Plugin 6.2
- Accessibilty (a11y)
- E: A11y: Improve and standardize the block styles focus and active states.
- B: Make the Table block accessible at high zoom levels.
- B: Change the font size picker markup to use select.
- B: Match the primary button disabled state to Core’s color contrast.
- Bug: Fix converting video shortcode into video blocks when file type sources are used.
- Mobile: Fix video uploads when the connection is lost and restored.
- Mobile: Update Video caption placeholder color to match other placeholder text styles.
- Introduce Link Target support in Button block.
- Remove nested block restrictions from the Cover and Media & Text blocks.
- Always collapse block alignment toolbars. (Nice! )
- RichText Component
- New API: Add allowedFormats and withoutInteractiveFormats props to the RichText component to control the available formats per RichText.
- Docu: Add RichText component documentation to the Block Editor Handbook.
- Divers: Continue the generic RichText component refactoring.
- New APIs
- Add a simple API to register block style variations on the server.
- Allow alternative blocks to be used to handle Grouping interactions.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix race condition in the block moving animation causing blocks to overlap.
- Prevent the block movers from disappearing on middle breakpoints for full/wide blocks.
- Improve the repository triage docs.
- Adds documentation for the PluginDocumentSettingPanel SlotFill.
Active Development and Explorations
- Additional borders & padding
- Hover state of nested blocks
- Adding Animation to innerblock selection
- Gutenberg blocks go nested
Improved Keyboard Navigation for Blocks
Non-consecutive Block Selection
Snap to Grid System
Transcript to come soon