Today’s Weekend Edition is full of WordPress 6.0 developer notes and articles. The Release Candidate 1 was released this week. Now is a good time to test the new version with your themes, plugins and hosting. And report bugs and quirks!
It’s already quite late, let’s get this on the road!
Be well, and have a great next week!
🎙️ New episode: Gutenberg Changelog #66 – Gutenberg 13.1, New Zealand, InnerBlocks with co-hosts Birgit Pauli-Haack and Mary Job. Special Guest: Glen Davies
Developer Notes for Block Themes and the Editor in WordPress 6.0
The WordPress 6.0 Field Guide is published for your perusal. Grab’ your favorite beverage and start reading. 🙂
Here, as always, I collected the Dev Notes specifically related to the Block editor:
- Separator block: Updated to use block supports color settings
- Support for handling resolution errors for Editor data module
- Updates to the @wordpress/create-block templating system
- Block Locking Settings in WordPress 6.0
- Page creation patterns in WordPress 6.0
- Global Styles variations in WordPress 6.0
- New features for working with patterns and themes in WordPress 6.0
- Theme export in WordPress 6.0
- Block markup updates for image, quote, list and group blocks
There is also the Block Editor miscellaneous Dev Notes for WordPress 6.0 with the following short notes:
- Removed bottom margin on LineHeightControl component
- Unrecognized block preservation
- Registration of Blocks from within Themes
- Enable legacy Post Comments block
- Gallery block – Ability to adjust gap between images added
- Changes to media object returned from the WordPress data module
- Removed Deprecated APIs
There are a ton of details to digest. Take you time. 🙂
Block editor for content creators, site owners and site builders.
In the thirtieth episode of the WordPress Briefing, Executive Director Josepha Haden Chomphosy and special guest Channing Ritter give listeners a sneak peek into the WordPress 6.0 release ahead of the Release Candidate 1 (RC1).
Learn more about Style Switcher and the Style variations coming with the Twenty-Twenty-Two theme updates. Chomphosy and Ritter also touch on the Block locking UI features for site builders. Ritter is the design release lead for WordPress 6.0 and she talks about the experience. It’s particular interesting because, the position wasn’t assigned for a few release cycles. I also learned about the new feature tying the Slack #props channel to the WordPress profile. Listen in and have fun.
Carlo Daniele did a deep dive into all the features coming to WordPress 6.0 for Kinsta Blog: What’s New in WordPress 6.0: New Blocks, Style Switching, Template Editing, Webfonts API, and Much More.
For a less technical overview and more visual details, head on over to WPBeginner’s post: What’s Coming in WordPress 6.0 (Features and Screenshots)
Upcoming WordPress Social Learning Meetups
May 9, 2022 3am EDT/ 7am UTC
Showcasing Content with Query Loops w/ Wes Theron
May 12, 2022 – 2pm EDT / 18:00 UTC
Builder Basics: Working with Templates in Full Site Editing (Part 2) w/ Nick Diego
May 18, 2022 – 6 pm EDT / 22:00 UTC
Sticky Styling: Getting Colors, Fonts, and Sizes to Stick w/ Sarah Snow
May 19, 2022 5pm EDT / 21:00 UTC
Using the Navigation Block w/ Wes Theron
May 19, 2022 – 2pm EDT / 18:00 UTC
Builder Basics: Working with Templates in Full Site Editing (Part 3) w/ Nick Diego
May 25, 2022 – 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC
Design With Me: Create a Simple Website for your Small Business w/ Sarah Snow