It’s been over two weeks since the last update and a lot has happened. A new Gutenberg version, a release candidate for WordPress 5.1, and report on the site building research results. There are also a ton of awesome update in the next WordPress version. Make sure to check out the Field Guide. This post is also about education listing online courses, conferences and WordCamps, around the block editor. Lots of blocks for content creators, bloggers and small biz site owners and plenty of links for developers who want to build blocks. Enjoy and let me know what you are working on and what cool sites you built with Gutenberg blocks. Have a fabulous week! — 💕 🤗 Birgit
Table of Contents
- WordPress and Gutenberg Development News
- Gutenberg / Block editor at upcoming WordCamps
- Our Live Q & A Shows
- Content Creation & Publishing with Blocks
- Building Blocks
- Online Courses & Conferences
WordPress and Gutenberg Development News
WordPress 5.1 is scheduled to be released February 21, 2019.
It will come with Gutenberg version 4.8.
Gutenberg 5.0 (released last week) is available as plugin. It will require WordPress 5.x core version.
Site Building Research Results
- #1 Background
- #2 Site building Journey of Bloggers
- #3 Site building Journey of Small Business Owners
- #4 Site building Journey of Site builder (for others)
- #5 Findings and recommendations
Subscribe to the http://make.wordpress.org/design blog for more updates.
Gutenberg / Block editor at upcoming WordCamps
Two months after WordPress 5.0 was released, I can’t imagine WordCamps without talks about Gutenberg or the new block editor. As it’s now integrated into Core, any talk about creating content, designing sites or writing plugins will have to also be about the block editor. I also know a few people, you have not had the time to dive into the block editor parts of WordPress, and just went with the Classic Editor. After reading the Site building Research results, I understand more about this segments of site builder and coaches. The main reason, I list the WordCamp talks here is that we can collectively look them up on WordPress.TV later this year, and also maybe catch ’em on LiveStream, should there be one. There is some serious FOMO going on, too. The first WordCamp in 2019 for me will be WordCamp Atlanta on May 3 + 4, 2019. I am also looking at WordCamp Leigh Valley, Philly, NYC and Boston later this year. Who knows, maybe we run into each other! 👋 Waving at all the fabulous WordCamp organizers, who spend months of their spare time to put these phenomenal conferences together. Thank them when you meet one!
WordCamp Miami, March 15 – 17, 2019
- Content Architecture: Patterns for Organizing And Building Content in WordPress 5.x
- Let’s Get Visual (Gutenberg Style)
- Empower Your Storytelling With Gutenberg: How To Use Blocks To Boost Your Communication
- Exploring New Gutenberg Blocks
- Updating Plugins For Gutenberg
WordCamp Nordic March 7 + 8, 2019, Helsinki, Finland
- Gutenberg Cloud: Your blocks in the cloud (for every CMS)
WordCamp Phoenix, February 15 – 17, 2019
- I Built a Site with a “Page Builder” Called Gutenberg
- Building Gutenberg Blocks with ACF
- Build Web Applications with Gutenberg
- Workshop: Building Custom Blocks with React
- Block Party Decor with TwentyNinteen
Our Live Q & A Shows
Content Creation & Publishing with Blocks
Online Courses & Conferences
Learn ReactJS from the ground up
Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia – Photo by Kevin Bluer on Unsplash